11 recommendations for the new European Commission
Implement Consulting Group studies commissioned by Amazon
23 November 2022
In an era of increasing geopolitical tensions, re-evaluation of global value chains and a global economy heading towards recession, the Single Market is key to securing growth, competitiveness and resilience of the EU economy.
Key findings of the study
This research aims to the future European Commission to push for an ambitious reboot of the Single Market. Based on surveys of European SMEs, interviews and a detailed literature survey, the research identifies 11 specific and impactful policy initiatives that can help strengthen the effective functioning of the Single Market.
- Adopt an ambitious single market strategy
- Strengthen SOLVIT by establishing a single market ombudsman in every EU Member State and commit SOLVIT to act more proactively on structural cases and to raise awareness
- Conduct a data flow test of all existing and new EU regulation
- Upgrade the European Semester to include recommendations for how to harmonise implementation of EU regulation and close the compliance gap
- Strengthen the use of the Better Regulation Toolbox by integrating implementation into the design of new regulation and consistently respecting impact assessment requirements
- Map and remove regulatory barriers to trade in climate goods and services within the single market
- Design the digital European product passport in a way that makes the circular work of businesses easier
- Create a one-stop shop to the extended producer responsibility (EPR) systems of Member States
- Create a single VAT ID and extend the VAT one-stop shop
- Recognise digital labelling as a true substitute for physical labelling
- Create conditions for the development of easy, fast, reliable and low-cost cross-border payments for both euro and non-euro payments
In combination, the 11 recommendations provide a road map for a stronger and more united single market, leaving the detailed policy development and implementation to the responsible EU institutions.
Background of the study
The research has been commissioned by Amazon and conducted by Implement Consulting Group as an independent assessment of how further integration of the Single Market can support growth, competitiveness and resilience in the EU economy. The work has been supported by business associations in the selected EU countries.
The initial study A Reboot of the Single Market launched in November 2022 aimed to inspire the Swedish Government to push for an ambitious Single Market agenda during its EU Presidency.
Since then, the research has been broadened to:
- SME surveys in selected EU countries
- Deep dive analyses of 4 of the 11 recommendations
Insights from the consolidated research is summarized in a pan-European report.